Monday, June 14, 2010

Beantown


More photos

Boston is the twenty-first largest city in the country and tenth-largest metropolitan area. One of the oldest cities in the United States, Boston is a center for medicine and higher education with schools such as Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Boston University. Boston is also home to four major sports teams (Celtics, Patriots, Bruins, and Red Sox).

I visited Boston because I wanted to watch a baseball game at the historic Fenway Park and be a part of Red Sox Nation. Tickets are hard to come by but I registered in February for the random drawing for ticket purchase opportunities for the Green Monster, Budweiser Right Field Roof Deck, and the New York Yankees. I got lucky and was able to purchase Green Monster Standing Room tickets to a Friday night interleague game against the Atlanta Braves.

I arrived on late Thursday evening at Logan International Airport and took a taxi to the Marriott Courtyard at Copley Square. The cab fare was $25. Copley Square in located in the Back Bay neighborhood near Fenway and a stop on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) Green Line subway.

Nearly a third of Bostonians use public transit for their commute to work. The MBTA operates what was the first underground rapid transit (T) system in the United States and is now the fourth busiest rapid transit system in the country.

Friday, I walked to Charlie’s Sandwich Shoppe for pancakes and eggs. The wait was about 5 minutes and the portions were huge. Next, I took the T and visited Bunker Hill, the USS Constitution, and walked along the Freedom Trail. For lunch, I stopped at Union Oyster House for oysters and Neptune for a lobster roll. Then, I ordered a cannoli from Mike’s Pastry. That was all delicious. Never think about calories on vacation.

I met up a fellow colleague after work and walked to Fenway Park. The atmosphere is unlike any other ballpark especially Yawkee Way. Although they did not win, the experience on top of the Green Monster was incredible.

The next day I toured the Sam Adams Brewery, another Boston favorite. I got to sample five different beers and take home a souvenir glass. After the tour, I took the T to Harvard Square and walk around the campus. To say the least, I was not too impressed by the campus. There is no famous landmark or building to be found. I hopped back on the T and headed to Boston Common.

Boston Common is a 50 acre park and next to the Public Garden where there are many beautiful flowers. This is a popular place for families and kids. I walked down Newbury Street, which has lots of department stores and shops, back towards the hotel.

Before flying home, I had brunch at Aquitaine French Bistro. This place is reservation only but I got lucky because they had a few cancellations and no shows. I ordered an omelette off the Prix Fixe Brunch menu. They had a $9.95 special from 10-11a on Sundays.

I will be coming back to Beantown.

Digg this
Del.icio.us StumbleUpon